Blog, First Aid, First Aid Tips

Safety Around Electricity

electrican

The human body is mostly water, which makes it an excellent conductor of electricity. An electrical shock can cause muscles to tighten, affect the ability of the heart and lungs to function, damage internal organs, and cause external and internal burns. Following these tips can protect you and your family or employees from electrical accidents.

Using Electricity Safely Indoors

Overloading outlets or extension cords could cause damage to the building’s electrical system and possibly start a fire. Keep cords out of the way so people don’t trip over them and pets don’t chew on them. If you need to unplug an appliance, pull on the plug, not the cord. Put safety caps on outlets that are not used so young children can’t stick objects in the holes. Teach your kids how to use electricity safely.

Staying Safe Outdoors

Avoid transformer boxes and substations. The high voltage makes them extremely dangerous. Tell your children never to go near those areas to retrieve a ball, pet, or anything else. Instead, an adult should call the electric company.

Have professionals trim tree limbs so they don’t get too close to electrical lines. Tell your kids not to climb trees near powerlines. If you need to use a ladder or other equipment outdoors, avoid powerlines. If you need to dig, contact your local government to make sure there are no underground utility lines in that area.

Dealing with Car Accidents

If your vehicle hits a utility pole or an electrical wire falls on top of your car, the safest thing is to stay put and wait for help. Metal parts of the car may be energized. If you touch the ground and the car at the same time, you may get electrocuted. If you must get out of the car because of another danger, such as fire, hop out with your feet together and don’t touch the car and the ground at the same time. If someone else is injured in a car accident involving a powerline, stay away and call 911.

Treating Someone Who Has Been Electrocuted

If someone is injured by electricity, don’t touch the person. The electricity could pass into your body as it seeks a path to the ground and can cause injuries to you, too. Call 911. A person who has experienced an electric shock should go to the hospital to be evaluated, even if he or she seems fine.

Keeping Workers Safe

Anyone who works with electricity should wear flame-resistant coveralls and protective eyewear to shield the body in case he or she accidentally touches an electrically charged piece of equipment. Hard hats can help workers avoid serious injuries if they are knocked down by an electrical shock. 1st Aid Supplies offers these types of equipment, as well as first aid kits and cabinets in a variety of sizes to suit a wide range of businesses.

Order first aid supplies today to keep your employees safe.